It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oat Bran vs. Oatmeal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 pm 
Junior Dukaner
Junior Dukaner

Hello- Just reached my target :) 23 lbs in 11 weeks - should have been sooner but had LOTS of summer celebrations and cheated on the wine!! Now onward to consolidation. Can we substitute hot oatmeal cereal in the a.m. for our oat bran allowance?? I really miss it for breakfast especially since now I can put some fruit on it. Also are almonds or other nuts allowed on consolidation phase? One more---can we substitute whole wheat tortillas for the whole wheat bread? Found one that has 2g fat, 10g carbs, 7g fiber and 5g protein . So fun to make a wrap using leftover chicken and veggies.

Post subject: Re: Oat Bran vs. Oatmeal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 pm 

Hi Nancy,

At no time can we substitute oatbran for anything else. It is a lifetime commitment to have the oatbran and PP Thursdays. I make porridge with my oatbran. I mix with skim milk and let it stand overnight, thin it out a bit more in the morning and zap in the microwave for 50 secs. You could add fresh fruit to that with a bit more cold skim milk.

Any nuts are only allowed as part of your celebration meal.

We are supposed to be having wholemeal breat (not whole wheat). I don't (never have) eaten bread every day of the week and I don't like wholemeal. I bake my own Soy & Linseed, slice and freeze. I have used a low carb tortilla for one lunch time. I think we may have to find what suits each of us and does not pile on the pounds.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wJVc2D4/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wJVc2D4]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 am 
Junior Dukaner
Junior Dukaner

Thanks for the reply, but I'm seeing there are differences between the US and UK books. On page 90 of my Dukan Diet book there is a whole section and it's labeled "Two Slices of 100 Percent Whole Grain Bread" so I'm assuming 100% Whole Wheat bread qualifies. Then on page 89 it says "you are allowed to eat all types of fruit except bananas, grapes,cherries dried fruits, and nuts (then he lists 6 different nuts) Why mention specific nuts if they are an exception - here I also assumed that the 6 listed were acceptable as 1 serving a day. Seems like there could have been better editing in the US book. I'll stick to a few dry roasted nuts just now and then just to be safe.
Would a serving of oatmeal be in the "one/two starchy foods per week" category then?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:36 am 

Nancy sorry I am using the UK Version. Didn't notice you were in the States - you are allowed to have Ezekiel Bread if you can find it.

I am guessing here as his instructions on either site are rather vague at best. I am being coached from the UK site and all nuts are not allowed on my version until consolidation, celebration meal.

Starchy for non-US folks is 150 grams of cooked rice/pasta/potato - so I guess if you wanted to have oatmeal instead that might work. It is a complex carb (the good kind) that releases energy over a long time.

This is from the UK coached website for consolidation people.

Quote:
In the first half of the consolidation phase, every day you may eat: 1 piece of fruit, 2 slices of wholemeal bread, one and a half ounces of cheese, once a week eight ounces of starchy foods. Also one celebration meal per week. This celebration meal is a simple instruction which says you can eat a starter, a main course, a dessert of your choice and even drink a glass of wine, but without taking any second helpings. Thursdays still remain the Pure Proteins day.

Hope this helps.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wJVc2D4/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wJVc2D4]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:33 pm 
Junior Dukaner
Junior Dukaner

Thanks-I have used Ezeckiel bread often and there's even a raisin version. That really helps. I've also used an Oat Bran Sprout Bread from the US Trader Joe's stores that are great. I'll just coast on the nuts til the urge overpowers me-ha ha
Having a hard time finding breakfast meals other than eggs or egg beaters--really sick of those so was hoping oatmeal could be a twice a week option; the nutritional information on the box is almost identical to oat bran. Will see how things go. As you said it's what works for the individual once you're at your target weight.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]